Friday, October 2, 2009

Forgetful Fridays - Pure Funk

When I was in high school I purchased what was to be one of the best dance discs I would ever own. That CD was "Pure Funk" featuring various artists from Curtis Mayfield, Issac Hayes, Kool & the Gang, Rick James, etc. Every track on this CD is a classic, but I think they knew that as they put it together 20-some years after most of these songs were first released.



I'm not one for most of the 'dance' music that is out today. Many have simple beats, uninspired lyrics, and most simply try to see which song can bust the nearest subwoofer first. On the contrary, most funk songs have great topics to sing about, some of the catchiest hooks (as can be seen by hip-hops sampling of said hooks) and a playability decades later that I doubt anything released in the past few years will be able match.

Below I have embedded Earth, Wind, & Fire busting out their hit single "Shining Star". Also, if you click HERE you can view Earth, Wind & Fire's interview with late night PBS personality Tavis Smiley. Check out Pure Funk for more wonderful funk tracks.





NOT ALL FEATURES ARE VISABLE ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE TO VIEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Expect Odd Things Archive